To identify areas in which Science and Technology can be utilised for achieving the socio-economic development of the State, and in particular, for tackling the problems of backwardness, unemployment and poverty in the rural areas and the under-privileged sections of society, such as Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, Landless Labour, Artisans, Small and Marginal Farmers and Women.
- To initiate, support, promote and co-ordinate such research and development projects, and programmes (including demonstration projects) as are likely to be relevant to the achievement of specific objectives and problems and help in the fruitful exploitation of the natural resources of the State through various institutions and organisations of the State.
- To establish or assist for the establishment of infrastructure (Institution, Organisations, etc) necessary for Science and Technology development efforts of the State.
- To advise Government on policies and measures necessary to promote utilisation of Science and Technology for the achievement of the said socio-economic development objectives.
- To set up and administer documentation centre and /or laboratories.
- To prepare or assist in the preparation of Science and Technology plans and formulate research and development programmes, approve such programmes if received from other institutions and finance and/or aid such projects by means of grants, loans, supply of material, provision of experts etc.
- To promote the Popularisation of Science and the spread of a scientific temper and attitude amongst the people of the State and to disseminate scientific knowledge by means of pamphlets, journals, films etc. and to organise seminars and conferences to promote Science and Technology.
- To supplement the activities of the State Government in the field of Science and Technology.
- To interact with other State Councils and national Science and Technology bodies with similar, or related objectives.
- To take any other steps which are relevant to the application of Science and Technology to the problems of the State and to promote education in Science and Technology.
- To institute prizes and awards for meritorious research and development work in Science and Technology, and
- Generally to take all such measures with the approval of the Council as are likely to accelerate the process of modernization in Chhattisgarh through the use of Science and Technology.